The passing of the founding father of Singapore, Mr Lee Kuan Yew has compelled me to break my
silence on the social media platform and I chose my forsaken blog. The fact is I'm recreating what I remembered from two weeks ago as I carelessly deleted the post I published before.
Mr Lee has respectably united the nation not only when he was living, but even when he's gone. The nation's grief was overwhelming and it triggered Singapore to be its best. Over the week of mourning, many teared for a man we barely know. Stories of his contributions and character flooded all the media platforms to commemorate the acts of this selfless man.
Everyone was moved by his commitment and care for the country. He didn't only manage the global but also the municipal matters; he took ownership of everything Singapore. And because of his efforts and determination we are where we are today, a first-world nation with outstanding accolades in many aspects and a small country with a big voice throughout the world.
Singapore's hardware is doubtlessly top-notched. But in my opinion, our 'heart-ware' has so much more room for improvement. If you asked me, what is it the one thing that cause us to feel so much for Mr Lee; is it his grit, strength, confidence, wisdom, wit, patriotism, or abilities? It is definitely a mix of all of the above, but I think most importantly, he cared. His gestures divulged his "love" for us, Singaporeans.
The week past with us witnessing Singapore at its best, everyone played their part to make Mr Lee's send-off an unforgettable one. The kind handouts, the sheer determination at the queue, the kinder and more considerate behaviors that can be felt across the nation impacted me. I never knew Singapore could be like this.
We have grown to become very independent and capable over the years. We lead our own lives and believe that as long as we excel, our lives will fulfilled. But I was just wondering, how nice will it be if we could all remain considerate and sensitive to each other like we did the past week? How nice will it be if we can learn from Mr Lee and live our lives not just for ourselves but for Singapore, or maybe just for our fellow-Singaporeans, or maybe just for our family members and friends, or maybe just for any individual?
We have lost our founding father, can we keep his spirit alive?
Mr Lee, I hope Singapore won't let you down.

No comments:
Post a Comment