London tube workers were on strike yesterday, so commuters had to find transport alternatives to and fro their workplaces. This incident happened by choice. Workers decided to inconvenience the whole city for reasons which I don't know (maybe they were valid).
This happened two days after Singapore's North-South & East-West MRT lines were halted for a few hours due to some unpredictable technical issues. The situation was hectic, and people got angry, cursing and swearing, insisting for the SMRT CEO to take responsibility. But behind the scenes, technicians and SMRT staff were activated last minute and they rushed down to ease/fix the problem the moment the news broke. Were they not victims of the circumstances? Please don't get me wrong, I too, was caught in the frenzy and I too, was flustered and stuck in the crowded and 'sticky' situation. It was too easy to get angry but, in that moment, if everybody had chosen gratitude over complaint, this entire episode will actually be a blessing to Singapore.
The MRT was handicapped for only a few hours, and workers were frantically gathered to ensure that it runs well again for the next working day. And it did. In comparison to the situation in London, aren't we much luckier? To have people fight the fire for us, and not be the ones that cause the fire? I'm not sure. But I'm thankful that our people came together to solve the problem. Yes, the roots of the problem have to be discovered. Meanwhile, be thankful for the sacrifices made in attempt to make our rides smoother..
No comments:
Post a Comment